Students working on computer together

Visa Information

Find out how to get a student visa ahead of studying in the U.S. and what to do next. We can offer international students information on all stages of the visa application process and provide guidance throughout this phase of your study abroad journey.

Applying For a Student Visa

Once you have been admitted into your International Pathway Program, provided the required financial documents, and paid your deposit, TAMU-CC will issue an I-20 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). With the I-20, you can apply for a visa to study in the US. To learn more about the procedure for applying for a student visa, you should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country. You may be required to attend an appointment.

Joining the On-Campus Program

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry and request permission from the U.S. immigration officer to enter the U.S. It does not guarantee entry into the U.S. Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the U.S. will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the U.S. An F-1 visa is for people who want to study at an accredited U.S. university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.

Steps to Obtain a Student Visa

To successfully obtain your student visa, you will need to follow these steps:

  • Receive your Form I-20 from TAMU-CC and review it carefully.
  • Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee online.
  • Complete the Form DS-160 to begin your visa process.
  • Schedule and prepare for your visa interview - you will need to gather several supporting documents.
  • Attend your visa interview at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
  • Wait for your F-1 entry visa.

You can also contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country for more information about the procedure for applying for a student visa. For full visa guidance, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

When Should I Apply For a Visa?

It is best to apply early for your visa, to make sure there is sufficient time for visa processing. We recommend that all students apply for their visa as soon as they have all the required documentation.

Be sure to notify the ISC Director directly once you know your visa status. We also ask that you please tell the ISC when you have made an appointment, and notify us of the outcome of that appointment.

After you obtain your visa, please notify the University of your travel plans, and then review the next steps to prepare for your journey to the U.S.